Art and music build better brains!
We believe in educating the WHOLE child. At Paris School, we know that art and music education are essential to our students’ academic and social growth. Because we take seriously research supporting the benefits of art and music instruction for students of all ages, these classes remain educational priorities in our school district.
Like every other subject, there are some students who prefer art and others who prefer music…and even some who prefer neither–but we know the benefits of studying the arts extend far beyond paintbrushes and piccolos. For this reason, all Paris School students are required to participate in art and music classes from Kindergarten through eighth grade.
According to the Public School Review (publicschoolreview.com) and the National Association for Music Education (nafme.org), participation in art and music promotes both short-term and lifelong growth for students, regardless of age, gender, or race. These benefits include:
- Mastery in core academic subjects
- Problem solving and critical thinking skills
- Literacy skills, language, and reasoning
- Intellectual curiosity and spatial intelligence
- Imagination and creativity
- Self-esteem and confidence
- Stress relief and relaxation
- School attendance and engagement
- Better SAT scores
- Workforce preparation